Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, August 21, 2009

Show us your life .... baby showers ....

It's time for me to show you my life again! I don't have much experience with hosting baby showers. I've co-hosted two showers - and I only have pictures of one. Sorry Amy!! But I'll share with you what I have done ... cause I have to admit, it turned out pretty cute!
My mom and I threw a shower for one of our sweet friends who had a baby girl. So of course, we didn't hold back! We created a vintage, shabby chic shower theme using formal china, my wedding silver, and old table linens. SO.DARN.CUTE. We scheduled the shower to be around 10am so we served brunch which included juices, mimosas, coffee, muffins, fruit salad, and pastries. Mom and I did attempt a coffee cake the night before. It turned out terrible so of course it wasn't served. I don't think we ever really decided what the initial problem was - either we used a really bad pan, didn't cook it long enough, or just missed a step somewhere. Oh, well ... live and learn. I don't think we will be attempting another coffee cake. :-)

This part turned out to be my favorite. My mom has a shadow box that she likes to change according to seasons, holidays, special occasions, etc. So we decided to set it up for the shower. We included the shower invitation, pink ribbon, and baby cards that were sent to my grandmother when my mom was born to add a vintage flare. No, mom ... I'm not saying you are vintage. Just the cards. ;-) It turned out to be awesome!




Now .... on to my specialty .... DIAPER CAKES.



When Amy's friend and I decided to throw a shower for her, I thought it would be cute to make her a diaper cake as the centerpiece. This was my first attempt and I thought it turned out to be pretty cute. It involved alot of time, tons of diapers, a few items off of her registry, and then a random assortment of baby items that I thought were cute.



Here is my second cake ... and one made by my sister too. We went to a baby shower for one of our cousins who was having twins so you can't just make one diaper cake! :-) These are a little smaller but just as cute!

Well, that's about all I can offer on my expertise around baby showers. Hop on over to Kelly's blog to read more!
Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Mrs. Petrie said...

Those diaper cakes are awesome! How many diapers did you use? I've thought about making one, but I don't think I can afford hundred of diapers. :)

Kristin said...

Thanks for the comments!

Well, for the larger one I used probably 120 and around 40-50 for the smaller ones. You can reduce the quantity by using something different in the middle of the cake like a recieving blanket. Or you could flip a basket upside down and work the diapers around it. They are so much fun to make!

Mom said...

Do you have pictures from your wedding breakfast?