Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, August 21, 2009

Part 1 - Before and After

Okay, so a few weeks ago I mentioned that I would be blogging before and after pictures of our new digs. Well, here it is. Finally. Yeah, I know I have been slacking. I would like to blame that on the fact that I have had long work weeks and have been making other improvements to the house. But that would be all lies because I am still unemployed and I have not been working on the house any. BUT ... I did mow the lawn this week. And in my opinion that totally counts as my excuse.

This post involves one of our guest rooms.

BEFORE:

For some reason, there were shelves along the top of the room going all around. Well, we thought it would be an easy fix just to take the shelving down. I wish. Wouldn't you know the paint color was different above the shelving from the rest of the walls? Luckily, paint was left behind that was used in this room. And the brown sponge paint had to go! I'm not opposed to texture painting ... but this was not pretty.


AFTER:
The shelves are gone and the wall has been painted! We also set up an old (and I mean OLD) iron bed. This was my bed as a child and I am so glad my parents kept it! The found two iron beds at an antique shop that are from the 1800's ... I think. Mom, please correct me if I'm wrong. We also have a rocking chair in there that was Andrew's mother's mother's mother's. (That would be his great-grandmother - I just like to make things difficult). It is a beautiful, hand-crafted wooden rocking chair and I'm so excited to have it in my house.

Here is another view. Yes, the curtains are quite bright. The dresser is from a children's furniture store that I used to work for that I got on clearance for $50. I also hung up a simple grape vine wreath that my grandfather made.

I love how the room turned out. It's definitely a hodge podge room but I think that it what makes it so great. I will soon have a nightstand to put in there that my Papa made and an old antiqued mirror that I need to hang up. I love vintage antiques so I was glad that I was able to use this room to show my love for the oldies but goodies!!!

3 comments:

Ricky G said...

I'll refinish Papa's cabinet this weekend and we'll set it up Monday. We can hang the mirror too.

Mom said...

The 1800's bed was found in an antique shop in Cameron, NC. We always stop in this charming, historical town to browse the many antique shops on our way to visit family. It's a 3/4 bed, so we had to have a custom mattress made to fit the frame. So glad you can use it! Hope Sharon found it comfy!

Anonymous said...

Beware of the orange glow creeping under the door.....