Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, December 11, 2009

It's not Grandma's, but I like it.

So, I've been wanting chicken pot pie for the past few years. And I say years because I haven't had one since my grandmother passed away. I have always had the ones that my grandmother and her lady friends made for their church bazaars. They were all chicken pot pie queens. And let me go ahead and tell you that I am a chicken pot pie snob. So, don't tell me to get one from the grocery store because you think it's good. Yuck. And I do not like dark meat or tons of vegetables in mine. And the consistency ... it can't be too thick or too runny. Double yuck. I'm not so concerned with the crust ... homemade or store bought ... honestly, it is all the same to me. Andrew would disagree with me but whatever. I guarantee you that I could tell him it was homemade and he wouldn't know the difference. He would argue with me about that too. But the inside?? It's gotta be the way I want it or I won't eat it. So please don't take offense if I don't eat your chicken pot pie.

Well I wanted to try my hand at it and found a recipe that is pretty darn tasty and close to what I remember of my Grandma's. Minus the homemade crust. And I can tell you that I am 100% certain the recipe I followed isn't really close to what my Grandma and her girlfriends went by but the taste is there.

A few changes I made along the way .... I used cream of chicken soup instead of cream of potato. I didn't use a cookie sheet either. I didn't use the full amount of vegetables because I don't like a lot in the pie itself. I know two cups doesn't sound like a lot but it was to me and I am set in my ways. If you want your vegetables make them on the side ... not in the pie. And don't forget to make a pot of white rice to go with it. Not brown rice ... white rice. Trust me.



2 comments:

mom said...

It certainly looks delicious.

Kristin said...

I'll make you one! :-)